As the popular trend of taking supplements to improve health takes off, manufacturers are crawling out of the woodwork to create eye care supplements that they claim are the best or the most effective on the market. Oftentimes, they may even manipulate the facts so that they can claim that their product is the #1 choice to help people achieve their personal health goals.
These wild claims are often not backed up with scientific support, and contain no real explanations as to why they have formulated their version of an eye health product in the way that they have or how exactly they work!
It can be beyond confusing for consumers, often left not knowing which products are worth buying and which are worthless fakes. We felt it was time to carefully examine some of the products available, to discover more about which ones may be telling the truth and which you would do better to stay away from.
5 Things To Look For In An Effective Eye Health Supplement
- It should contain Chromium Picolinate which regulates intraocular pressure and helps eyes focus.
- It should contain at least 10 mg of Lutein but no more than 20 mg, combined with 2 mg of Zeaxanthin. These potent antioxidants protect the eyes from blue light damage and eye disease.
- It should contain Taurine which protects photoreceptor cells in the retina.
- It should contain BioPerine® which increases the bioavailability of the main ingredients, enhancing their benefits.
- It should not contain any proprietary blends which can weaken the effectiveness.
What We Uncovered
Immediately, we were able to spot those that were simply out to make a quick return and cash in on the latest health trend, as opposed to the products that we consider to be high quality and effective.
- In short, many of the eye health supplements we reviewed do not contain ingredients that have been shown to get great results, such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin, or have any scientific or clinical support as to why they are added.
- Moreover, they often include unnecessary ingredients by adding a proprietary blend that provides no benefit whatsoever. Some formulas do not contain the same potency as they claim on their labels with many companies even hiding their labels or supplement facts to prevent consumers from better understanding what is contained in the formulas.
This is disheartening and quite frankly, misleading. Some companies think that sticking a label on their bottle with the words, ‘Eye Health Supplement’, without even stating exactly what is inside each pill and why certain ingredients have been added or not, is enough for consumers to want to buy their products -this is simply wrong.
Our research identified key areas that we felt raised concerns when purchasing an eye health supplement. With so many products out there, we felt that we needed clear parameters in terms of what to look out for when investing in an eye health product.
- Will it be effective? This is perhaps the main concern for consumers. After all, why waste your money on something that is useless? Unfortunately, there are many products that simply don’t work, which is a real concern for many potential buyers. Consumers need to be aware that there is a precise science in creating an effective formula.
- Will it be too expensive for me to purchase? Our research uncovered many manufacturers selling eye care products for $100 and more. People often think that by paying more, they will get better quality. This is not always the case. Don’t risk your hard-earned money on something that has a price which is over inflated and unrealistic.
- Is the company open and transparent? For you to understand whether a company is simply exploiting the latest trends, you need to be consumer savvy in order to establish which are the best companies to purchase products from and which ones to avoid. This means manufacturers have to be transparent and open, providing you with as much information and guidance as they can.
Finding Effective, Quality Eye Health Supplements?
There are several key elements to look out for that can pretty much guarantee a product’s authenticity.
- Monitoring By A Third Party: There are organizations that will independently monitor and track the reputation of a company and assess their customer satisfaction levels. A company’s reputation is incredibly important within the health industry, make sure you select a top provider, one that has an impeccable reputation and one that is backed by an independent third-party monitoring organization.
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee: Many companies offer you a money-back guarantee if their products do not bring the results that you are looking for. Some are better than others. Choose a company who has a solid satisfaction guarantee. A strong guarantee demonstrates the confidence that manufacturers have that their products will deliver the desired results.
- External Testing: This is not the same as a monitoring company. Third-party testing substantiates and verifies the quality of the manufacturer’s product. It can be very expensive for manufacturers to undertake and even disqualify entire shipments of products that don’t reach the correct standards. That being said, when manufacturers don’t have independent quality control and testing, there is no way of knowing if their products are effective, or even safe.
Research On Eye Health Products
Thorough research takes time and money, which most people don’t have an endless supply of. So, we did the work for you – saving you both! We researched numerous eye health supplements to gain an in-depth understanding of what is on the market.
To determine the products that we could rate as beneficial, we looked to see if they contained the correct ingredients, how potent they were, and their grade of purity. We eliminated products that we found to contain synthetic fillers, unnecessary ingredients, and useless proprietary blends.
However, we didn’t stop there. We understand that facts and figures don’t always tell the whole story. So, we looked for real consumers who had purchased and used the products and asked them for their feedback. Their testimonials helped us to establish a list of the best possible products currently available on the market.
Our Research Results
An effective eye health supplement should contain top quality, clinically proven ingredients in significantly potent doses for optimal effect. There are significant vitamins and carotenoids that can protect the cells in the eyes for healthy eyes.
Carotenoids such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin can help the retina absorb blue light and help slow or prevent eye diseases. We also looked for the inclusion of Vitamin E which protects the eye from free radicals that cause age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts. In addition, we looked for a natural compound, such as BioPerine®, to increase the absorption of the nutrients to further boost and maintain eye health.
Most products failed to pass our specific criteria.
There are some manufacturers who actually include some good ingredients in their formulas, but consequently fail when they weaken the potency by adding an unnecessary blend of useless ingredients. Other manufacturers simply failed by using a weaker potency of certain ingredients than what has been proven effective in scientific studies. Others filled their pills with binders, additives, or preservatives. Many of them didn’t even bother with quality control testing.
We are very confident in the brands that we did pick. Given our stringent parameters and reasons for choosing our top products, we are sure our top picks will help you achieve the results you are looking for.
Why Did We Select Our #1 Choice As Our Top Eye product?
Our top pick not only met all of our strict criteria for a quality eye health supplement, but it also surpassed them!
Look at what it contains:
- Opti-Sci™ Eye Health Complex – more than the recommended 10 mg Lutein and the clinically recommended dosage of 2 mg Zeaxanthin.
- 400 mcg Chromium Picolinate – most do not include this in their formula.
- 400 mg Taurine – the majority of products do not even include Taurine in their formula.
- Vitamins B1, B6, B12, and Folic Acid – no other eye product contains this blend.
- BioPerine® – none of the other products we reviewed added this.
- No obscure proprietary blend with hidden ingredient quantities.
Our Top Eye Health Product Choices
Our top choice stands above and beyond the competition, and we think you will agree. The company’s excellent reputation, top quality product, external independent monitoring, and testing, coupled with an incredible money-back guarantee policy, makes this an undoubted solid pick for our #1 choice.
✓ Money Back Guarantee
✓ Consumer Feedback
✓ Company Reputation
**Make sure to only buy from the official Approved Science website to ensure products’ authenticity and to protect the validity of their 60-day money back guarantee. Many of our readers have notified us that they were scammed into buying counterfeit products on Amazon.
Approved Science Eyesyl Review
If you want to try protecting your eyes from age-related eye diseases (AREDS) and macular degeneration, Approved Science Eyesyl is the product that will get you the desired results. Of all the eye health supplements currently available on the market, this is the one that deserves a closer look and very likely, the one that will change your life, or rather, keep your life from changing in unwanted, distressing ways!
It contains the highest quality natural ingredients in the correct dose and potency. Approved Science Eyesyl contains Opti-Sci™ which is an optimal dosage of Lutein and Zeaxanthin. It also contains Chromium Picolinate and Taurine in potent amounts. Additionally, this product contains 10 mg BioPerine®, a patented form of Black Pepper Extract, which is specifically designed to work synergistically with the other ingredients for increased absorption of the other ingredients. Essentially, this product ticks all the right boxes for an effective eye health formula.
Quality: Approved Science Eyesyl contains high grade, 100% natural, clinically verified ingredients that are GMP certified.
Reputation: Their reputation is excellent. This manufacturer has several third-party monitoring services, including buySAFE, Norton, and Trustee, as well as an A+ rating from the quality monitoring company QualityTrusted.
Money-Back Guarantee: Every item sold is supported by a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee. Such guarantees from manufacturers show a strong confidence in their products’ ability to deliver results – great news for consumers!
Additionally, they are well known in the industry and an established company that provides great customer support service, secure and easy checkout, as well as prompt, efficient delivery.
Their commitment to the health industry and consumers is excellent, providing further qualification of efficacy by producing their products in an FDA registered laboratory.
If you are looking for a product that ticks all boxes for naturally protecting healthy vision and eyes, and is from an established, reputable company with an excellent money-back guarantee, this is the supplement to try.
It would be good to note that, due to high demand, Approved Science Eyesyl is often sold out. To avoid having to back order, don’t hesitate to make that purchase when you see it in stock.
Nugevity OS2 Ocular Support Solution
This product contains a number of ingredients that were on our list. However, it has a proprietary blend. Even if every ingredient in a proprietary blend is proven to deliver results, it has to be present in the correct amount in order to be potent enough to actually make a significant improvement upon your health. OS2 Ocular Support Solution contains a proprietary blend which means that the manufacturer is not obligated to disclose the amount of each ingredient in the proprietary blend.
In addition to examining the ingredients, we always look for reviews of a product and a solid customer guarantee. There were few reviews but what we gathered from the ones we found is that this product is recommended by ophthalmologists, and that the product seems effective since customers are generally satisfied. Unfortunately, this product does not have a customer satisfaction 100% money-back guarantee which displays the manufacturer’s confidence that it is indeed an effective product.
At NaturalCare, as implied by their name, they like to take the natural approach when tending to the body. OptiAll was crafted by NaturalCare who, like other manufacturers, heard that there was research suggesting that antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals are able to protect eyes and decided to jump on board the eye health supplement bandwagon.
OptiAll claims to be an effective supplement that supports vision and eye health. That’s all. Across websites selling OptiAll (including Amazon and the manufacturer’s site) there are few details about how OptiAll works. There is no explanation of their proprietary blend and no ingredients that they choose to highlight for effectiveness. Additionally, this product has only a handful of reviews and they offer no insight into the quality of the product. However, this product comes with a 60 day customer satisfaction guarantee which shows that the manufacturer is confident that their product will satisfy consumers.